Previews: March '08 Comics

Patrick and I take a look at Previews catalogue and highlight the most exciting books shipping to comic shops in March!

Marvel:

Dave: Wolverine: First Class #1 - Bringing things back to the good old days when Wolverine and Kitty Pryde were tight, this series pairs the two up in all-new early adventures. We may not need another Wolverine book, but an ongoing Kitty Pryde book…it’s about time!

Dark Horse:

Patrick: Serenity: Better Days #1 - This first of a three issue mini-series, written by Joss Whedon and Brett Matthews with art by Will Conrad (the same creative team responsible for the Serenity: Those Left Behind graphic novel), takes place before the film. Covers by Adam Hughes.

DC:

Patrick: Jack Kirby’s O.M.A.C.: One Man Army Corps HC - DC follows up their Jack Kirby’s Fourth World Omnibus project with this book, collecting the first eight issues of Kirby’s O.M.A.C.

JLA Presents: Aztek - The Ultimate Man TP - I’ve not really seen much discussion of this superhero series, created and co-written by Grant Morrison and Mark Millar, which makes me think it’s perhaps something of a minor work, but I like Grant Morrison enough that I’ll probably read this at some point. It is advance-solicited for an April release.

Showcase Presents: Supergirl Vol. 1 TP - You know, I’m almost positive I spotted this the other day at the comic book store, so maybe this is being offered again? In any case, I really like what I’ve read of these comics. There’s a camp appeal to this material, to be sure, but the Mort Weisinger edited “Superman Family” comics have a genuinely imaginative and whimsical quality I really enjoy.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier - The Absolute Edition - As much as I enjoyed Black Dossier, I’m not sure I’d be willing to pay 100 dollars for this edition, particularly considering that the only extra seems to be that record Alan Moore recorded. I think it would probably have been best if DC had just released a single, more affordably-priced version of the book which included the record. Others may feel differently, of course.

Abstract Studios:

Dave: Echo #1 - A new series from Terry Moore (Strangers In Paradise) debuts this month. I haven’t actually read anything by Terry Moore, but I’m sure there are plenty of excited people out there.

Archaia Studios Press:

Dave: Cursed Pirate Girl #1 - This looks like a lot of fun. Pirates, mystical creatures and ghosts in a new six-issue series with some really nice art. Check out the preview!

Bodega:

Patrick: Daybreak Volume 2 GN and Service Industry GN - I ordered these directly from Bodega, but now these great comics, from Brian Ralph and T. Edward Bak, respectively, are available through Diamond. Pester your retailer accordingly.

Devil’s Due Publishing:

Dave: Golden Age Sheena: The Best of the Jungle Queen TP - I think this is really neat. A collection of classic Sheena: Queen of the Jungle adventures from the 1930s - 1950s, digitally remastered.

Fantagraphics:

Patrick: The Complete Peanuts Volume 9: 1967-1968 HC - Probably the highlight of a very good month for Fantagraphics, this latest volume cover features Violet and boasts an introduction by John Waters, of all people. Featuring the first appearance of Franklin.

Daddy’s Girl HC - Wow, I had no idea this was being reprinted. Debbie Dreschler, author of Summer of Love, is an amazingly talented cartoonist, and this semi-autobiographical account of a young girl’s sexual abuse by her father should be a powerful and disturbing work.

Jessica Farm GN - If you’ve read Josh Simmon’s first graphic novel, House, and/or his brilliant and disturbing “Batman,” then you know the announcement of a new graphic novel by the artist is cause for celebration. If I’m not mistaken, I believe this is the first in a series.

Rebel Visions: The Underground Comix Revolution (1963-1975) SC - Everything I need to know about the underground comix movement I learned from Patrick Rozencranz’s Rebel Visions, finally available in this revised and expanded soft cover edition.

Ganges #2 - The second issue of Kevin Huizenga’s Ignatz series debuts this month.

Highway 62 Press:

Dave: Strangeways: Murder Moon GN - I almost missed this one, but I’m glad to see it. Before Speakeasy went under, a few issues of this werewolf western comic had been solicited, but never saw the light of day. It looked like a lot of fun, and I’m happy that it’s finally making its way to stores.

Pantheon:

Dave: The Rabbi’s Cat 2 GN - I’m a fan of Joann Sfar, so I’m happy to see a sequel to his acclaimed The Rabbi’s Cat is coming out this year. I haven’t actually read the first graphic novel, but I know it was recently released in soft cover, so I’m out of excuses.

Picturebox:

Patrick: Gary Panter 2-Volume Slip-Cased HC Set - Holy crap, this is going to be awesome. These two books (the first: an extensive monograph featuring work from the artist across various mediums, augmented by essays and an extensive interview with Panter, and the second: featuring selections from the artist’s sketchbooks) make up my most anticipated release of 2008.

Raw Junior, LLC:

Patrick: Benny and Penny in “Just Pretend” HC - This is the first release from Francoise Mouly’s new Toon Books imprint of children’s comics. By acclaimed children’s book author/illustrator Geoffrey Hayes. I have a very good feeling about this line of children’s books, and want them to do well.

Top Shelf:

Dave: Hieronymus B. GN - This book from award-winning German cartoonist Ulf K. is being released through five international publishers at the same time, and Top Shelf was lucky enough to be in on it. Featuring the stories of a humble clerk.

Villard:

Dave: Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 TP - I have to wonder if Archaia Studios Press is kicking themselves for selling the rights of the soft cover version of the first Mouse Guard mini-series to Villard, what with the phenomenal success of the hardcover edition. Either way, I highly recommend this book. Beautiful art featuring cute little mice with cute little swords.

Viz:

Patrick: The Drifting Classroom (Volume 11) TP - Just wanted to make note of the fact that one of the most bat-shit insane manga I’ve ever read concludes with this volume. I pray there is more work by the great Kazuo Umezu on its way to these shores.

Dave: Hana-Kimi (Volume 23) TP - It’s also the final volume of this great shojo manga I’ve been really enjoying this past year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 200 Horror Movies (2019 Edition)

Marvel Legend Wishlist (Updated 2022)

Marvel Legends Wishlist (Updated 2023)