Previews: May 2006

ADV:
Neon Genesis Eveangelion: Angelic Days (volume 1) - This manga is based on a Playstation 2 game from Japan where the characters from the popular anime series star, out of continuity, in a romance comedy of sorts. Weird.

Amaze Ink/Slave Labor Graphics:
Wonderland #1 - This looks like fun. A pretty, cartoony story of what happened in Wonderland after Alice left the kingdom.

Dark Horse:
Lady Snowblood (volume 4): Retribution Part 2 - I'm admittedly behind on the series since the first trade came out, but it's always nice to see a new one come out. I think this is the finale?

Octopus Girl (volume 2) - Yeah, the firs one hasn't come out yet, but god, the covers look so awesome I can't believe it will be anything less.

Fantagraphics Books:
Castle Waiting HC - Collecting the entire Castle Waiting story, this should be a great read. I've been meaning to track this down for a while. Saves me a lot of work.

Krazy & Ignatz 1937-1938: Shifting Sands Dusts Its Cheek in Powdered Beauty - Beautiful cover for the latest installment. I haven't gotten around to Krazy & Ignatz yet, but Patrick's excited for it.

Free Comic Book Day:
Free Scott Pilgrim #1 (Oni Press) - New Scott Pilgrim!

Owly: Breeakin' the Ice (Top Shelf) - Owly's cute. And so are the chipmunk and goose on the cover...

Wizard Presents: The Top 100 Trade Paperbacks of all Time (Wizard) - Yes, this is going to be ridiculous. Yes, I will get plenty of laughs over what they choose.

X-Men/Runaways (Marvel Comics) - All-new Runaways story!

Gemstone Publishing:
Carl Barks' Greatest Ducktales Stories (volume 1) - Should be cool!

Hyperion Books:
Abadazad Book 1: The Road To Inconceivable and Abadazad Book 2: The Dream Thief - Oh, Boy. I am sooo excited about this. I loved Abadazad and we're finally going to get more!!! Mark your calendars! The first one must have a lot of what was collected in the first three issues that were actually released (with the cover of the collection featuring the same cover as issue #2), but since they are hybrids of comic and prose, there has to be a bunch more Abadazad goodness in there to justify the purchase. Book Two's cover was a picture I haven't seen before (of the villain) and man, it was cool just to see that! I hated The Stardust Kid, so I hope Ploog and DeMatteis haven't lost their touch during the gaping time between the last issue by Crossgen and the new collections, but I have to have faith that it'll flow as before. I'm hoping the next issue of The Comics Journal, with a Mike Ploog interview has some nice tidbits in it about the series...

IBooks:
Wings GN - This sounds adorable - A farmer finds a dog with wings on the roadside and takes it in to his family, where it is charming and comedic. And free of text. Should be nifty.

Image Comics:
Girls (volume 2): Emergence - The first trade was my #10 pick of last year, so I'm definitely looking forward to more Luna Brothers goodness.

The Walking Dead (volume 5): The Best Defense - This series hasn't been impressing me so much as of late, so I hope this one picks the pace up a bit.

Marvel:
Civil War #1 (of 7) - I usually hate these crossovers, but god, I love Steve McNiven's art. The preview art looked amazing!

Marvel Masterworks: The Fantastic Four (volume 10) - Collecting the final issues of the legendary Lee/Kirby run! Also, it sounds like it'll have some nice supplementray material.

Skrull Kill Krew TPB - Who can resist more Grant Morrison goodness?

X-Men Fairy Tales #1 (of 4) - Okay, I'm a Kitty Pryde fan and I loathed "Kitty's Fairy Tale," so right off the bat, using that as a sales pitch for the series is a bad thing in my book. however...this looks great! The preview art is beautiful, as is the cover. It's kind of like that Neon Genesis Evangelion manga that's coming out this month, using the X-Men characters out of coninuity for a different tale, this one based on Japanese folktales. And did you see Beast? I want to pinch his little cheeks!

X-Men: Firestar Digest - Wait - what? Yeah, this collects the Firestar mini-series, issues 1-4, from before her time with either the Avengers or the New Warriors. An odd choice, but hell, I'm gonna check it out for $8!

Oni Press:
Borrowed Time #1 - A story that takes place in the Bermuda Triangle, but sounds like it focuses more on the human aspect of the main character. Humanity is sometimes best examined when taken out of context of familiar surroundings.

Seven Seas Entertainment:
Inverloch (volume 1) - Another poular webcomic makes the leap to paper. Another cute-sounding story.

Viz:
Naoki Urasawa's Monster (volume 3) - Great first trade - can't wait for the next one!

Nana (volume 3) - I think this is the best manga currently being serialized in America.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 200 Horror Movies (2019 Edition)

Marvel Legend Wishlist (Updated 2022)

Marvel Legends Wishlist (Updated 2023)