X-Men: Kingbreaker #1 (of 4)

Christopher Yost & Dustin Weaver
.
Patrick picked this up for me at the comic book store, and had I been there, I probably would have given it a once-over and put it back on the shelf with an "egh." I wasn't too fond of Ed Brubaker's stint on Uncanny X-Men where much of what's going down in this new four issue mini-series was set up in "The Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire" arc. Had I known that most of this series would follow up on that story, I wouldn't have bothered giving this a chance, but I was surprised that I actually really enjoyed it. Vulcan, the third Summers brother, is now in charge of the Shi'ar Empire, and is expanding the domain ruthlessly. Lilandra, meanwhile, is an outlaw, aided by the X-Men as they attempt to dethrone Vulcan and save their captured friends, including Havok, Polaris, Ch'od and Raza (the former two of the space pirates The Starjammers). I'm not sure where this story is going and what other players may be involved with this War of Kings crossover coming up, but this was quite an entertaining first chapter with some decent art by Dustin Weaver. I'm not sure I really need to get sucked into yet another Marvel crossover, but if I am...at least I'd better have fun reading it, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 200 Horror Movies (2019 Edition)

Marvel Legend Wishlist (Updated 2022)

Marvel Legends Wishlist (Updated 2023)