Deadpool #1

Daniel Way & Paco Medina
Another Deadpool series launched this past week from Marvel, spinning out of events from Secret Invasion. In this issue, readers get to see what they probably want from a mercenary such as this: one continuous battle sequence, as Deadpool takes on a skrull battleship all by himself. Deadpool's known for his chattering during killing, and he doesn't disappoint this time around, as he wise-cracks while taking out dozens of skrulls in a mascot outfit. But honestly, it was more weird than funny. The jokes kind of fall flat and the whole mascot thing...I guess we haven't seen that before, but I didn't care to either. The funnest thing about the book for me was Deadpool's hallucinations, which were great on a visual level. They were kind of random, but welcome when they appeared. They went along nicely with his, you know, having a conversation with himself. I don't know all that much about Deadpool, to be honest, so I wasn't sure if he was just plain crazy or what, but there's a nice eight-page recap in the back of this book telling "The Deadpool Saga" to get readers up to speed. Medina's art on this debut issue is pretty average overall, but there are a few bright spots in there that really impressed me. There's definitely promise. And while I liked how the whole first issue was one big action scene (a great way to begin a book such as this), I hope there's more meat to the series as it progresses, because I can certainly see myself losing interest quickly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 200 Horror Movies (2019 Edition)

Marvel Legend Wishlist (Updated 2022)

Marvel Legends Wishlist (Updated 2023)