Previews: January '08 Comics

Here are our picks (from Previews catalogue) for books coming to comic shops in January of next year...

Marvel

Dave: Young Avengers Presents #1 (of 6) - After a short hiatus, the Young Avengers return, minus Allan Heinberg. While series writer takes a break, the Young Avengers return in a mini-series with a different creative team per issue, the first of which focuses on Patriot, written by Ed Brubaker, with art by Paco Medina. Series penciller Jim Cheung does the cover.

New Exiles #1 -Yes, I was just complaining about Chris Claremont in my review for the first issue of X-Men: Die By the Sword, a series that leads into this relaunch of the Exiles, but I've got to point this out. Claremont's series always sound good. The Exiles now safeguard the Omniverse as Sage joins the team that boasts a new leader and new members...and is that Kitty on the team?

New Warriors (Volume 1): The Next Right Thing TPB - I think that this looks like a fun series. I've been meaning to check it out...

DC

Patrick: The Spirit #14 - The new creative team of writers Mark Evanier and Sergio Aragones, and artist Mike Ploog debuts this issue. Cover by Jordi Bernet.

Batman: The Killing Joke Special Edition HC - I already own a paperback version of this book, and I don’t really hold it in high enough regard to repurchase it in this new, hardcover edition commemorating its 20th anniversary. If you don’t already own this book, though, you might want to consider purchasing it in this format. Written by Alan Moore with art by Brian Bolland, of course.

Jack Kirby’s Fourth World Omnibus Vol. 4 HC - Now, see, this I’m happy to repurchase, although this final volume actually contains some material I’ve not read, such as the Hunger Dogs graphic novel, which I hear is supposed to be kind of lousy. Anyway, I’ve been buying these as they come out but I’m going to wait to read them until I’ve got the whole bloody thing. In many ways, I see this admittedly flawed work as Kirby’s magnum opus, and it’s nice to see it getting the attention it deserves from the publisher. One of the great publishing endeavors of recent years, I’d say.

Showcase Presents: Superman Family Vol. 2 TP - I suppose I can’t really call this another of the great publishing endeavors of recent years, but I sure am looking forward to it. I had a blast reading the first volume, a thick slab of weird, campy fun featuring mostly Jimmy Olsen stories, and I’d become nervous that they weren’t going to be putting out another volume. Finally, this second volume has been solicited, although I wish it featured a more even mixture of Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane stories. Really, those two series should have their own, separate reprint series, but I’ll take what I can get.

Dave: Y-the Last Man #60 - The final issue of the popular post-apocalyptic Vertigo series has finally arrived. I gave up on the series long ago, but I'm sure a lot of people out there are excited about this.

Dark Horse

Dave: Harvey Classics Library (Volume 3): Hot Stuff - I've been pretty impressed with the Harvey Classics Library volumes so far, particularly Casper the Friendly Ghost. I don't know much about Hot Stuff, but it could be neat.

Image

Patrick: Youngblood #1 - This is written by Joe Casey with art by some guy who isn’t Rob Liefeld, so it might actually not suck.

Savage Dragon Archives Vol. 3 TP - I really need to start buying these. Collecting the entirety of Erik Larsen’s long running superhero epic Savage Dragon, these books mirror the format of the Marvel “Essential” and DC “Showcase” books, and would, I think, be a perfect way to revisit this material. This volume begins with Dragon’s return from the dead, and ends with his final confrontation with his time-traveling nemesis, Darklord, an event which will drastically and permanently alter the course of the series.

Avatar

Patrick: Gravel #0 - This new ongoing series written by Warren Ellis, featuring the William Gravel character from the Strange Kiss/Stranger Kisses/Strange Killings books, is co-written by Mike Wolfer and features art by Raulo Caceres. This brings the number of Warren Ellis written comics currently being published to about 80, I think.

Cartoon Books

Dave: Bone Color Edition (Volume 7): Ghost Circles - This is probably my least favorite volume of the Bone saga, but a new Jeff Smith comic, reprint or not, is always cause for celebration.

Fantagraphics

Patrick: Krazy & Ignatz: 1941-42 Ragout of Raspberries TP - Gosh I like that pink cover.

Willie & Joe: The WW II Years Slipcase - This being one of those great publishing endeavors I keep going on about.

Viz

Dave: Ral Omega Grad (Volume 1) GN - A new manga from the creators of the insanely popular (and quite good) Death Note! I'm very excited, despite the less-than-spectacular premise in the solicitation.

Wildcard Ink

Dave: Gumby (Volume 1) TP - The Eisner-winning Gumby gets collected this January. The all-ages title is a critical hit and should definitely be worth looking into.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 200 Horror Movies (2019 Edition)

Marvel Legend Wishlist (Updated 2022)

Marvel Legends Wishlist (Updated 2023)