Previews: January '06

It's once again time to highlight those eye-catching items in Previews that may escape some people's radar...

Avatar Press
~ Blackgas - Warren Ellis does zombies!

Dark Horse
~ Scary Book (volume 1): Shadows - This is by the "Stephen King of Japan," Umezu Kazuo. Junji ito was influenced by this guy. This is going to be awesome!

DC Comics
~ All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder #4 - Black Canary makes an appearance! I can only imagine...

~ Manhunter #18 - The covers are drawn by Jesus Saiz again! Yay! Oh, and Manhunter gets a recurring villain!

~ Seven Soldiers: Frankenstein #2 - Of the Seven Soldiers books, this one looks most appealing to me. Mister Miracle #3 also comes out this month. I think its debut was the only issue I've not liked of a Seven Soldiers book thus far.

~ The Exterminators #1 - I saw a preview of this at Chicago Wizard World, and I was intrigued. I'll definitely give it a shot.

~ Fables #45 - The "Arabian Nights (and Days)" arc concludes. It started out a little slow, but I think it'll at least be fun to see some new characters in the series.

~ Y-the Last Man #41 - We got a glimpse into Agent 355's past in the last issue of the series. It seems this is the issue for her origin to be blown open.

Image Comics
~ Godland (vol. 1): Hello, Cosmic! TP - Patrick's probably going to check this one out, so I may have to give it a shot too, given the fun vibe the series gives off.

~ Fell #5 - I honestly wasn't expecting much from this series, but it's shaping up to be a comic that I look forward to every time it comes out.

~ Savage Dragon #123 - The Dragon returns after a fairly lengthy absence, minus the healing properties.

~Season of the Witch #4 - The conclusion of the mini. I just picked up the first issue, haven't read it yet, so I don't know if I'll make it this far...

~The Stardust Kid #4 - Once again, just picked up #3, and I haven't been too impressed with what I've read so far, so this past issue is the deciding factor. I didn't realize it took three months for an issue to come out...

~Necromancer #5 - I think this is the only Top Cow book I've ever actually liked.

Fantagraphics Books
~ Chimera #1 - Italian artist superstar Lorenzo Mattotti's book is described as: "a wordless fantasia of birth, death, gods, monsters, and humans, Chimera is the most astonishing visual narrative you'll see all year." Awesome!

~ Tales Designed To Thrizzle #2 - I'm not a big fan. I don't find it very funny, but by God, Patrick loves this comic. If you like this kind of humor, you'll be laughing out loud. At least give it a shot.

IDW Publishing
~ 30 Days of Night: Dead Space #1 - Vampires in space, the premise that has been, thus far, the killer of the horror franchises (Remember Jason X?). We'll see...

~ Dampyr #9: Forbidden Zone - The long-running European title continues with another great Ashley Wood cover.

Marvel Comics
~ Ultimate Extinction #1 - I won't be picking this up, but awesome cover!

~ Ultimate Spider-man #89 - More of the "Silver Sable" storyline (and even more Silver Sable coming up! It's Silver Sable month!!!) (Did I mention I'm a fan?)!

~ Black Widow 2: The Things They Say About Her #5 - Another female bounty hunter who's stolen my heart...(and money)

~ X-Statix Presents: Dead Girl #1 - My favorite X-Statix character gets her own mini! I miss the series (although I did get a little bored with it toward the end).

~ Nextwave #1 - Warren Ellis brings together a bunch of second-rate characters like Meltdown of X-Force and Elsa Bloodstone. Hey, whatever man. Let this guy run with whatever the hell interests him...

~ New Avengers #15 - More of the most underrated superhero book, focusing on Spider-woman.

~ Runaways #12 - Whoa! James Jean is awesome! What a cover!

~ Spider-woman: Origin #2 - Jonathon Luna does the art for this Bendis-helmed series. Check out the Luna Brothers' Ultra if you haven't already. You won't be disappointed!

~ Sable & Fortune #1 - More Silver Sable! A new mini-series boasting an eighties-esque cover!

~ New Excaliber #3 - Damn. It's already starting to look shitty.

~ Snowbird Bust - Snowbird has one of the best costumes, makes for a great statue.

~ X-Men: Kitty Pryde: Shadow and Flame TPB - Collecting the mini-series that features my favorite superhero!

~ New Warriors: Reality Check TPB - I think the art is really cute on this series...

~ Spider-man vs. Silver Sable (vol. 1) trade - Yep, even more of our silver vixen! That "volume 1" is promising.

Narwain Publishing
~ Jenna #3 - What I think looks to be the most promising of the Narwain titles. And Newsarama just announced that Jenna's going to cross over with Ninja High School (a little-known series into its 100+ issues).

Oni Press
~ Polly & the Pirates #4 - A great mini-series from the creator of Courtney Crumrin continues!

~ The Tomb GN - This seems familiar for some reason, like I've heard of it before, but I don't know where. Either way, sounds like a fun premise.

Speakeasy Comics
~ The Grimoire #9 - A fun, all ages title of magic.

~ Strangeways #3 - An ongoing werewolf title set in the Old West. Awesome! I hope ot doesn't suck...

Viz Media
~ Nana (vol. 2) - The greatest shojo manga title continues to be collected!

~ Shojo Beat (vol. 2) #4 - And if you don't want to wait for the Nana trades, you can get it monthly in this anthology (along with a whole bunch of other shojo manga titles).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 200 Horror Movies (2019 Edition)

Marvel Legend Wishlist (Updated 2022)

Marvel Legends Wishlist (Updated 2023)