In Passing...Superf*ckers to Lost Souls

The Book of Lost Souls #1 - J. Michael Straczynski and Colleen Doran's new title published under the exclusive "Icon" imprint is a fantasy that spans from about the Victorian Era to the present, following a character as his hurt leads him to seek a way to end it all, but ends up with a mysterious book, and eventually having to choose before a creature bathed in darkness which side of the line he walks he will fall on - good or evil. I really like Colleen Doran's work on A Distant Soil, so I wasn't surprised that I liked the art of this series, although I was pleasantly surprised by the coloring - it really stood out as sensational (done by Dan Brown). Straczynski's story didn't exactly blow me away, but the dialogue was dead-on. I love the talking cat and what he represents in the scene he's involved in. The art and tone were easily enough to hold my interest had the storytelling been lacking (which is wasn't - it was more just a bare bones set-up that doesn't really explain much of what's going on), so I'm going to continue on with this series. I would even go so far as to recommend it.

Superf*ckers #273 (aka #2) - This book is awesome! I'm surprised no one's done superheros like this before. It just takes genius, I guess. I personally liked this issue better than the first (though some people's feelings are counter). I'm really sad that this series is only going to be three issues long. I hope James Kochalka has more stories to tell in this universe in the future. I really fell in love with his work after reading American Elf, and his sensibilities are just honest and wonderful.

Black Widow: The Things They Say About Her #2 (of 6) - So far, I've been enjoying this mini-series better than its Black Widow: Homecoming predecessor. I think Black Widow is a great character, especially when Daredevil's involved in the thick of things. She's kind of out-of-place since the Cold War ended, so she has to really fight for some sort of voice in the espionage world. And as always, Bill Sienkiewicz does an awesome job on the book.

The Stardust Kid #3 - Okay, this issue is where I officially leave off. I keep trying to give the team of Mike Ploog and J.M. DeMatteis another chance with this book since I loved Abadazad so much, but my God, I can not stand reading this book. And it takes so fricking long to get through, it's so bogged down by condescending narrative that tries to sound more literate and playful than it is (God, the narrator is soooo annoying) and crappy, insipid dialogue. I just dreaded picking this thing up to read and the story is so not worth it, lacking the imagination and captivating characters of the Crossgen series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 200 Horror Movies (2019 Edition)

Marvel Legend Wishlist (Updated 2022)

Marvel Legends Wishlist (Updated 2023)