Cartoonist's Eye

I ventured into Chicago today to visit Chicago Comics and Quimby's, as well as listen to Ivan Brunetti's curator's talk along the "Cartoonist's Eye" exhibit.

So, I picked up the comics I was looking forward to this week (as well as Ultimate Fantastic Four #24 - the "Tomb of Namor" beginning), and Patrick finally tracked down Or Else #3 and Stuff of Dreams #3, but was unfortunately unable to find the latest Comics Journal. Sigh. But, on a bright note, he was happy to find The Complete Peanuts (volume 4).

Highlights of the "Cartoonist's Eye" exhibit:
- Rory Hayes: I'd never encountered any of his work before. It looks disturbing, but sooo cool. The art is just great with such cool iamges of demons and impaled teddy bears. Patrick tracked down some articles in Comic Art and The Comics Journal for me to go through.

- Richard Sala: I've been meaning to read some of his comics. Peculia looks really cool, and the stuff on exhibit just reinforced my desire to check him out.

- Phoebe Gleckner: I heaven't read Diary of A Teenaged Girl yet, but I am so ready to read this novel/comic hybrid after seeing her art at the exhibit. I guess Gleckner does art for anatomy and stuff, so this picture on display was done in that style where you can see through things to identify internal parts of the body, of this woman's head as she's performing oral sex on a man. She's really cool.

- Carol Tyler: On display were really pretty art strips that were meant to wrap around tin cans. It was all done in soft pastel-like colors that were just really eye-catching.

- George Herriman: There was some Krazy & Ignatz on display, one strip of which was the last strip he ever drew, found on his art board after he'd died, the dialogue not yet printed. I felt kind of honored to see it.

- R. Sikoryak: He does these cool blends of famous comics and famous novels, staying true to both. The one on display was done in the style of Peanuts, with Charlie Brown as a bug ala Kafka's Metamorphosis. I guess he's done things like Crime & Punishment in the style of Batman (appropriately). Stuff like that. It sounds like really neat stuff.

- Brunetti's talk was nice also, although I admittedly got a little restless toward the end of it. I guess he put this together in just a few months, so he wasn't able to include some people's work he wanted, like Lynda Barry and Thimble Theater, but hey, it was a great collection nonetheless. For the show, the artists got to kind of choose what was displayed, but Brunetti's book that comes out next year that includes these people's works will be his personal picks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 200 Horror Movies (2019 Edition)

Marvel Legend Wishlist (Updated 2022)

Marvel Legends Wish List