Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Nightwolf #0

Nightwolf #0 is a prequel to a mini-series coming from Devil's Due Publishing next month called Nightwolf: The Price. I thought that the covers and solicitations were interesting, so I wanted to check it out. Little did I know that I would get a sneak preview into the world of Nightwolf a month early at a mere 99 cents.

Now, Nightwolf is written by Stephen L. Antczak with art by Nick Marinkovich, and the talent of the latter I think far outdoes the former. The story here is muddled and murky. As a reader, I had to do a lot more work than I should have for a straight-forward genre work. I didn't get that there was a family curse involved or anything from the work itself, but from things I read about it. That being said though, the art is really something. I don't know who Marinkovich is, but he's the perfect artist for a book like this. It's really the quality you'd expect to see coming from IDW nowadays, with moody, realistic pencils. The opening panel is just awesome - a punk with his throat ripped out just couldn't have been conveyed better. Marinkovich draws a sexy protagonist and a mean werewolf (who happen to be one and the same).

The premise is of a man cursed to become a werewolf once a month under the full moon, and to make up for the death and destruction caused on that one night, he induces a controlled version of the wolf (that he dubs "Nightwolf") to come out every other night to fight for justice on the streets. It's kind of a cool idea. The art's there, but we'll have to see if the writer can pull his act together to make a really compelling horror mini-series or not. So far, the characters are there, the premise is there, even a plot. It's just a matter of setting things up right for the series, with just a little more clarity on the circumstances surrounding the main situation. We'll just have to see where it takes us next month.

No comments: