...Than Never


I just finished Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis, both volumes. It's really cool to get a perspective on life such as hers. It's something you just don't see in the comics medium very often. I admit, I cried. I was a big baby by the end of the first volume, but I feel completely rewarded for having read these books. I don't have anything to say about this that hasn't already been said, I'm sure, but I'm happy to report that they were wonderful books that I really feel belong in the canon of comics. I'm trying to read those books right now, those books that are so audibly acclaimed that you can't ignore them, books that transcend the medium and have become part of the literature community at large. I've read Jimmy Corrigan, Love and Rockets, From Hell, Eightball, Lynda Berry, some James Kochalka, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Bone. In my to-read list are now Maus, The Complete Peanuts, American Elf, Watchmen, Blankets, Cerebus and Osama Tezuka's Buddha. I would like to open a comic store focusing on alternative comics and graphic novels in Milwaukee (because it simply needs one!), and I feel I have to have read these books, like it's my responsibility really, to the customer and the medium overall. I still love Marvel and Vertigo and such, but...I need to expand my palette a bit. I've been making baby steps, but if I'm really serious about this, I just need to hit these books now. So, anyways, if anyone has anything to add, feel free!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 200 Horror Movies (2019 Edition)

Marvel Legend Wishlist (Updated 2022)

Marvel Legends Wish List