Penguins and Everyone Else

I saw a few movies over the past few weeks. Last week, I saw "March of the Penguins," which went wide, I believe, this past weekend. I'm one of those people who really enjoy watching nature/animal stuff on TV, especially Jeff Corwin on Animal Planet (he's funny AND cute). So, of course, I couldn't pass on this movie, especially given how I love penguins. The documentary was really well done, I thought. Better than their previous work, "Winged Migration." It was full of what people went to the movie to see - cute animals doing cute things. There were funny moments and sad moments. I felt that there could have been one penguin couple that the film makers focused in on to really give a sense of attachment to the animals, a personality. It could have been a little shorter too - there's only so much penguin waddling I can stand before the cuteness wears off. But I do recommend this highly for people who love watching animals like I do.

The other movie I saw was "Me, You, and Everyone We Know." This was a quieter independent movie, with interesting people and their relationships with people around them that they come to meet. The main plot thread is about a shoe salesman who's living with his children he doesn't know very well. His children get time in the limelight as they deal with other school children, who tend to target them, particularly a pair of girls who have issues of their own. The father also meets an elder-cab driver who is a passionate artist trying to get her work shown in a gallery. She's probably the most interesting character in the film, as she's quite strange and spontaneous, but naive and lovely at the same time. All of the characters in the film are ultimately lonely and just want to be loved and understood by others. This was a movie that kept my interest all the way through, but I'm sorry to say, I probably won't remember much about it in another month. No scenes were seered into my memory. It was a great movie, but I'd wait to rent it if I was on the fence about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 200 Horror Movies (2019 Edition)

Marvel Legend Wishlist (Updated 2022)

Marvel Legends Wishlist (Updated 2023)