Speak of the Devil #1

Gilbert Hernandez

The latest offering from Love & Rockets co-creator Gilbert Hernandez is a six issue mini-series from Dark Horse. I believe it's supposed to be one of Gilbert's Palomar character's (Fritz') movies, in comic form, which is one reason why it has that sort of C-Movie Grindhouse feel to it. It has some intentionally bad, but knowing, dialogue in a story that's pretty over-the-top. The book follows teenager Val, who decides to become a peeping tom, donning a ghoulish grinning mask and spying on her neighbors and, well, her father having sex with her beautiful step-mother. The dialogue that establishes the relationships and sets the tone of the series is as follows: "Walter...She just misses her mother. I was the same way when my father re-married." To which he replies "Mmm...I can't really say I can blame our peeping tom too much, Linda." I can see how some people won't really like the latest Gilbert book, but for what it is, I think it's a great offering and if anything, you've got to appreciate the art which is, as usual, some of the best out there. I think this will be a fun series and I'm looking forward to more. B+

Comments

Unknown said…
Great news ! I loved the Palomar series and their somewhat bizzare but captivating atmosphere. Will keep on eye on that one :)
Yedna said…
I read Jamie H's complete, 'Locas' stories, and then I wanted more. I've read a couple of the L&Rs trades since, and I really enjoy both Hernandez brother's works.

I picked this one up about a month ago. I really enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to #2 coming out this Wednesday.

I agree that the writing's a little hokey. But as far as the storyline goes, you have to give Gilbert an 'A' for originality.

Popular posts from this blog

Top 200 Horror Movies (2019 Edition)

Marvel Legend Wishlist (Updated 2022)

Marvel Legends Wish List