The Sisterhood #1 (of 3)

Christopher Golden, Tom Sniegoski & Wellington Alves

The Sisterhood is a three issue mini-series from Archaia Studios Press that came out a month or two back. It’s another one of those comics from small publishers that was hard to get my hands on, so when I went back home for a visit to Minneapolis, I picked it up there, where it seemed every comic store I went to had a couple of copies on their shelves - quite a difference from the Milwaukee shops. I was thinking that I would just pick up the inevitable collection since it is a short series, but when I saw it, I had to at least give the first issue a go. And I’m glad I did. The Sisterhood has a cool premise. It follows an order of ass-kicking nuns with some strange powers of exorcism, where they can track down demons and take them into their own bodies, human cages of sorts. If they die natural deaths, the demons die along with them. If they die violently, the demons are released back into the world to wreak havoc. Once a nun reached “full capacity,” she retires to die quietly at one of several hidden sanctuaries, wrestling the demons within herself and living out her days in relative peace without the threat of a violent death to undo all of the work she’s done. Unfortunately, it seems someone else has other plans when a convent of retired nuns is massacred, releasing hundreds of demons back unto the populace. That’s where Sister Eden comes in. The young busty nun who makes a living writing travel guides between exorcising demons on her exotic travels has been called on to uncover who is behind this new plot and put a stop to it. In accepting said assignment, she may have gotten more than she bargained for, if the first issue is any indication. So, this book has a very cool story going for it. And really, I was kind of impressed with the interior art. I was expecting a sort of Top Cow look through and through, given the cover and a glance inside (a little too 90’s for my tastes), but there’s some nice detail work and the panels are well-paced, with a pretty spectacular opening that set the mood of the book pretty much perfectly. There’s not much meat beyond the plot of the book, but it makes for one great action/horror extravaganza that easily surpassed any of my expectations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 200 Horror Movies (2019 Edition)

Marvel Legend Wishlist (Updated 2022)

Marvel Legends Wish List