Previews: August '07 Comics

So we’re going to try to have a regular feature around Previews Magazine’s release each month where Patrick and I both highlight upcoming releases, beginning with the most recent edition of books being shipped in August.

Patrick:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #5 (Dark Horse)

I don’t want to list every issue of every ongoing comic book series I’m purchasing here, but this is supposed to be a special, one shot issue, so I’ll highlight it here. Written by Joss Whedon with guest pencils by Paul Lee. I’m afraid I can’t tell you much more than that because, determined as I am to avoid spoilers for this series, I’ve not read the solicitation copy. The first four were good.

Harvey Comics Classics Volume 2: Richie Rich (Dark Horse)

I don’t know if these are supposed to be any good, but the format is appealing: basically, a whole lot of comics at a nice price point. Could be a lot of fun.

Ghost In The Shell 1.5: Human-Error Processor (Dark Horse)

Okay, I think this is material that was excised from the collected edition of the sequel to Ghost In The Shell, or some such nonsense. I’ve not read anything by Shirow Masamune since his U.S. publishers were printing his name as Masamune Shirow, but I can see myself getting around to this one eventually.

Batman: Gothic - New Edition TP (DC)

I only just discovered the existence of this material, and now it’s out in a new edition. Collects Legends of the Dark Knight #6-10 by Grant Morrison and Klaus Janson. I don’t know much about the story, but I’m one of those who thinks anything by Grant Morrison is worth checking out, and it’s only fifteen dollars. Nice.

Growing Old With B.C.: A Celebration of Johnny Hart GN (Checker)

This is nice. A best-of collection, hand-picked by the late artist himself. Checker has gotten some flack as to the quality of their strip reproductions in the past, although a strip like this one shouldn’t demand much on that front.

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend: The Saturdays SC (Checker)

Winsor McCay is one of the all-time greats, so this is probably worth getting. I haven’t read much of this particular strip myself, often described as a kind of grown up Little Nemo.

The Complete Peanuts Volume 8 1965-1966 HC (Fantagraphics)

Peppermint Patty appears.

The Complete Peanuts 1963-1966 Boxed Set (Fantagraphics)

Probably the smartest way to buy these things, unless you just can’t wait, which is perfectly understandable.

The Kat Who Walked In Beauty: Panoramic Dailies of 1920 HC (Fantagraphics)

I’m rather looking forward to this one. A never before reprinted, nine month stretch of Krazy Kat daily strips, plus other odds and ends. I think this approach is a nice alternative to all of the “complete” strip reprints we’re seeing lately, although I’d happily buy a series of books dedicated to that endeavor as well.

Where’s Dennis? The Magazine Art of Hank Ketcham TP

Cool. The appeal of those Dennis books really is all in the art and design work, so there’s no reason this shouldn’t be just as entertaining.

Notes For a War Story GN (First Second)

By Italian cartoonist Gipi, this book was the big winner at Angouleme back in 2005.

Scott Pilgrim Volume 4: Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together GN (Oni)

Holy shit it’s a new Scott Pilgrim!

Andromeda Stories Volume 1 GN (Vertical)

I’m waiting until all three volumes are out before I read her To Terra, but here’s the start of another three volume space opera by Shoujo manga pioneer Keiko Takemiya.

Astro Boy Essays: Osamu Tezuka, Mighty Atom, and the Manga/Anime Revolution

This is my “not comics” pick of the month. This is the new book by Frederik Schodt, author of two essential (real “essential,” not Essential Dazzler “essential”) books on manga: Manga! Manga! The World of Japanese Comics, and Dreamland Japan: Writings on Modern Manga. Here, the great Osamu Tezuka is examined through his most famous creation. This is going to be a good book.

Cult Fiction: Art & Comics

Huh. I hadn’t heard about this, but it sounds pretty great. Paul Gravett apparently examines a group of artists who “produce comics and cartoons as part of their practice, as well as those who employ the language of the comic in their work, borrowing from stylistic sources across high and low culture.” Daniel Clowes, Melinda Gebbie, and Carol Swain are some of the names I recognize from the lineup of artists profiled. Neat.

Squirrelly Gray SC

James Kochalka’s children’s book. I hate kids, so I’m just going to buy this for myself.

Jordan Crane Postcard Book & Journal

Wow, it seems like I’m highlighting a lot of stuff that’s not actually comics. I don’t know that I would by this, but Jordan Crane is a terrific artist, so I feel obligated to feature this.

Dave:

Okay, that's a lot of stuff, so I'll keep my picks short and concise (especially since many of the things I'm excited about were already mentioned)...

Essential Dazzler (Volume 1) (Marvel)

Make fun of it all you want - I am going to get this book in all of its cheesy, bad glory.

Shazam: Monster Society of Evil Deluxe Edition HC (DC)

Certainly nowhere as good as Jeff Smith's original creation Bone, this book is still worth checking out, for the cartooning alone.

Madman (Volume 1) TP (Image)

Mike Allred's Madman gets collected. This 300-page volume retails at $25 with a load of Allred goodness.

Okko: The Cycle of Water HC (Archaia Studios Press)

I haven't read anything bad published by Archaia, and this is a series that has been on my radar for awhile, though I haven't ever seen a physical copy of the comic in stores. I will definitely be purchasing this.

Super Spy (Top Shelf)

This caught my attention - a GN by Matt Kindt with come beautiful art, that's basically 52 interwoven spy stories.

That's it for this month. We hope we helped make a dent in your wallet...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 200 Horror Movies (2019 Edition)

Marvel Legend Wishlist (Updated 2022)

Marvel Legends Wish List