Girls (Volume 4): Extinction

The Luna Brothers

I'm not going to go into too much detail rehashing things I've said in reviews of earlier volumes of Girls, so if you don't know the premise, read this. Now that that's out of the way, let's get down to the fourth and final volume of the epic story from the Luna Brothers. First of all, I want to say that I hope that this is collected in one edition, because the story flows really well that way. Picking up the fourth volume and just beginning to read it doesn't work as well. You have to kind of flip through the last issue to recall events, because there's no recap, it just keeps going. And like Joss Whedon's quoted as saying on the back of this book: "I love the Luna Brothers' Girls. It's like watching a movie. I haven't read a comic like that since I can remember." It really does have a cinematic feel to it. Not that that makes it superior to other comics or anything. It certainly doesn't. I like comics that work in the medium and take advantage of it, like Krazy & Ignatz. But it's certainly not bad for being so cinematic. It's just a different experience and one that the Luna Brothers have pulled off here masterfully. The flow is incredible. A quick page through the book may reveal artwork that seems a little stiff, but the characters come alive as you read it. And I think that that has to do with the writing as much as with the art. And despite this being a science fiction survivalist story, there are a lot of quiet character moments. Ultimately, this book comes down to the characters and what differentiates them sexually. It's a work with metaphors aplenty and fun horrific action to carry it. I still believe the Luna Brothers' first effort Ultra: Seven Days is superior to this work, but Girls is an ambitious fantasy epic that deserves to be noticed. Highly recommended. A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 200 Horror Movies (2019 Edition)

Marvel Legend Wishlist (Updated 2022)

Marvel Legends Wish List