Diligently wading through the phone book that is Previews Catalogue so you don't have to... Here are fifteen choice books coming to comic shops in October that I think may get overlooked or that I'm just plain excited about:
2. The Saga of Rex TP - Michel Gagne's popular story from Flight gets collected together in one place for the first time, bringing the lovable out-of-his-world fox to a whole new audience.
3. Miss Don't Touch Me (Volume 2) GN - The follow-up to husband-and-wife team Hubert & Kerascoet's story of a woman who joins a high-class bordello as a pain-inducing English governess in 1930's Paris (to solve a murder) features a new mystery for Blanche to solve.
4. Tezuka's Ayako GN - From Vertical, this is a new translated work from manga master Osamu Tezuka! It's a massive 700+ page tome set after World War II, following a family in rural Japan.
5. Charles Burns' X'ed Out GN - The first volume of a new epic series from Black Hole creator Charles Burns!
7. The Littlest Pirate King HC - New from David B. (Epileptic) is this all-ages adaptation of the classic story from Pierre Mac Orlan.
8. Archie: 7 Decades of America's Favorite Teenagers HC - From IDW's Yoe Books! imprint comes a look back at each of the decades of Archie and the gang, featuring art from the big guys that worked on the series. Also coming out this month is Archie Firsts HC from Dark Horse, highlighting the first appearances of the major characters throughout Archie's history, and Tiny Titans/Little Archie #1 (of 3), which teams up the two all-ages titles. All in time for Archie's 70th anniversary.
10. Richard Stark's Parker: The Outfit HC - Darwyn Cooke's follow-up to his graphic novelization of the first Parker novel by Richard Stark, continues the acclaimed series.
11. Genius, Isolated: The Life and Art of Alex Toth HC - A collection of art and comics from legendary creator Alex Toth, this book gives an overview of Toth's career, heavy with illustrations.
12. Fish N Chips (Volume 1) TP - From Steve Hamaker, the colorist of Bone, comes an all-ages fantasy about a goldfish and a cat who have superpowers, as they attempt to save their city from vampyres.
13. Strange Tales Volume II, #1 - A new anthology featuring acclaimed creators on Marvel characters. This time around we see the likes of Dash Shaw, Frank Santoro, Kate Beaton, Kevin Huizenga and Gene Yang, among others.
15. Manhunter: Faceoff TP - I was wondering if they were going to do this. This is the collected form of Marc Andreyko's back-up stories in Batman: The Streets of Gotham that extended the life of the excellent Manhunter series.
16. (Yes, I added an extra) Chaos War #1 (of 5) - A big event in the Marvel Universe that pits god against god. More specifically, Earth gods versus alien gods. This mini features Thor, Hercules and a new God Squad with Venus and Sersi among others, written by Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente, with art by Khoi Pham. Also available this month is Thor vs. Hercules TP, featuring their fiercest battles.