Diligently wading through the phone book that is Previews Catalogue so you don't have to...here are twenty choice books (that's right, I just couldn't narrow it down to ten this month - lots of good stuff is coming out!) shipping to comic shops in April that I think may get overlooked or that I'm just plain excited about...
2. Bodyworld HC - When Dash Shaw's graphic novel was being serialized as a webcomic, it appeared on plenty of people's best of the year lists, so I'm excited to see it come out in print form from Pantheon.
3. Art In Time: Unknown Comic Adventures 1940-1980 HC - Dan Nadel edits a sequel to the excellent Art Out of Time anthology, featuring overlooked adventure comics from the 40's through the 80's.
4. Black Blizzard GN - A full-length graphic novel from important manga creator Yoshihiro Tatsumi (A Drifting Life), from the late 50's.
5. Artichoke Tales HC - A coming-of-age story from the author of The Squirrel Mother, Megan Kelso.
6. Weathercraft HC - Courtesy of Fantagraphics Books comes the first original graphic novel from master cartoonist Jim Woodring.
8. Excalibur Visionaries: Warren Ellis (Volume 1) TP - Marvel has already collected a few Excalibur Visionaries featuring Alan Davis' fantastic run, and now set their eyes on Warren Ellis' take on the team (when Pete Wisdom was on the team).
9. Spell Checkers (Volume 1) - This series in the teenage witch genre from Jamie S. Rich looks pretty cute, and I love that title!
10. Brightest Day #0 - In wake of DC's huge Blackest Night crossover event comes the new event Brightest Day, which crosses over into many titles like Green Lantern and JLA, as well as a new series also debuting with this event in The Flash #1, written by Geoff Johns himself.
new mini-series from Archaia, the first issue of which is written by Jeffrey Brown.
12. Black Widow #1 - With her big screen debut looming, Marvel is beginning an ongoing series featuring everyone's favorite Russian spy/hero, from the team of Marjorie Liu and Daniel Acuna.
13. Twin Spica (Volume 1) - The first manga series from Ken Yaginuma about a girl who dreams to one day go to space.
14. S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 - From Jonathan Hickman, whose current run on Fantastic Four is getting a lot of good word-of-mouth, this new series explores the secret history of S.H.I.E.L.D. through the ages, bringing the likes of Issac Newton and Leonardo Da Vinci into the mix.
15. The Golden Collection of Klassic Krazy Kool Kids Komics - From IDW's Yoe Books! imprint is this collection of comics from the 40's and 50's by legends of the medium such as Jack Kirby, Carl Barks and John Stanley.
16. New Avengers: Finale - Along with the final issues of all of the Avengers books shipping this month is this one-shot finale tying up loose ends with a good dose of payback.
18. Spider-Man: Fever #1 (of 3) - Brendan McCarthy's psycholdelic stint on the web-crawler.
19. Turf #1 (of 4) - A noir crime thriller that mixes the supernatural with mobsters in the late 20's.
20. Marvel Adventures - Marvel relaunches their Marvel Adventures kids' line this month with two title: Spider-Man and Super Heroes, both written by Paul Tobin.