The Incredible Hercules: Love and War

Greg Pak, Fred Van Lente, Clayton Henry & Salva Espin
.
I am really loving this series. I was surprised that I enjoyed Incredible Hercules: Secret Invasion so much, but I was equally surprised by how enamored I was with the following storyarc. I'm glad to see it wasn't a fluke. The Incredible Hercules: Love and War hardcover collects issues #121-125 of the series, and sees Hercules, er, "hanging out" with Namora of the Agents of Atlas (a character I also really like, who is written pretty pitch-perfect in this story). While Hercules is distracted in this manner, the Amazons wage war with Atlantis, and Namor gets involved, and it's a whole big mess. But on the plus side, Cho sees some love from a few of the Amazons in this tale of love and betrayal. There's a neat final chapter to the book that was done really well (and took real advantage of the elements in play), and I love the conclusion. Meanwhile, there are plenty of flashbacks featuring Herc in classic confrontations with characters like Atlas, and there's a war brewing in Asgard that's riding the waves of Dark Reign which will lead, I'm sure (based on the quality of writing this series has going for it), to some really cool places. I'm also finding that I like the humor of this book. It's very reminiscent of Excalibur (which I love) or even Buffy the Vampire Slayer, when the characters kind of pause in a tense battle to say something silly that's still completely appropriate. The art is wonderful throughout this collection, and I really liked the design for the Amazon love interest for Cho, Delphyne (who is also a gorgon). I'm just having a great time with this book, which could actually be my favorite superhero comic currently running. I highly recommend checking this book out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 200 Horror Movies (2019 Edition)

Marvel Legend Wishlist (Updated 2022)

Marvel Legends Wish List