Music Review: Alright, Still

Lily Allen

Coming out of nowhere with a fresh sound and a killer British accent is Lily Allen, whose debut CD came out a few weeks back with impressive results. It's hard to describe what kind of music Lily Allen does - maybe that's why when I uploaded the CD onto I-Tunes for my I-Pod, it contained the first tracks I'd seen labeled as "Undefinable" for its classification. But if I had to describe it, I would say that it seems to be a blend of R&B, rock and techno. I feel like it's what Gwen Stefani's been trying to reach with her solo efforts, but hasn't quite found. Lily Allen is a true pioneer with her sound. Some of the sounds may be a bit obnoxious and in-your-face upon first hearing the tracks (particularly with Knock 'Em Out), but I'll be damned if they don't worm their way into your skull until they become some of the funnest, contagious sounds you'll ever experience. The first single off of Alright, Still is Smile, which is probably the most accessible song on the CD, but there's a lot more where that came from. It'll be interesting to see where this bright young talent goes with her music next. And...does she accentuate that British accent as she sings? Because it certainly makes the songs more appealing to me, but usually accents drop when artists sing.... Either way, I love the accent and the little slang words she throws in.
.
Key Tracks: Smile, Friday Night, Take What You Take, Friend of Mine, Alfie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 200 Horror Movies (2019 Edition)

Marvel Legend Wishlist (Updated 2022)

Marvel Legends Wishlist (Updated 2023)