X-Men: Sword of the Braddocks

Chris Claremont, Scott Clark & David Beaty
.
I didn't really know what this was about before I picked it up, but I do like Psylocke and haven't seen her in a comic for awhile, so I thought I'd give this one-shot a shot. I knew Chris Claremont was writing the latest incarnation of the Exiles, and apparently Psylocke has been a part of the book, as this picks up a story thread from that series, where Betsy Braddock battled a version of Slaymaster, the villian who blinded her waaay back when. Now Slaymaster is hopping dimensions killing every Psylocke he encounters, and our dimension's Psylocke decides she must put a stop to this before the vision of Slaymaster blinding her brother Brian in this dimension comes true. In good old Chris Claremont style, this is a really convoluted story. But I actually kind of like it. I don't really get the title, as a sword really doesn't play into the story much, and it's really a Psylocke story (no Jamie Braddock to be seen, and a brief bit of Brian). Beyond that though, the story is a decent one. There's a lot of set-up leading up to a big fight between Betsy and the villain, but I do feel it comes on a bit suddenly, and ends abruptly at that. I also wasn't a big fan of the art. It was too distracting and artificial-looking for my tastes. However, gripes aside, this did serve to sort of rekindle my hope that perhaps there's some good writing buried within Chris Claremont yet, and has me pretty optimistic for the upcoming X-Men: Forever Alpha project. In the meantime, if you want a good Psylocke story, this is one a fan of the character shouldn't be without.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 200 Horror Movies (2019 Edition)

Marvel Legend Wishlist (Updated 2022)

Marvel Legends Wish List